View Single Post
Old 03-04-2005, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Sklansky: you want aggressive players to bluff more...

I'll try to throw in some little points that maybe you are not understanding.

First off you should not be just calling all the way when you have a good hand. You have to throw a raise or two in there sometimes. The object here is to win more with this hand then you lost on the previous (junk) hands. If all the pots that you win are just one bet on each street, and all the pots you opponent wins are more than that then he will more than likely come out ahead unless you win a lot more than he does (which I doubt due to your folding).

You also have to sometimes be able to pull off a win with those junk hands when you have absolutely nothing. Check-raises and steal reraises best serve this. You need to look into your opponent's betting pattern a little more and decide what it means when he: bets out, check-raises, waits for the turn to raise, 3-bets, etc. You may be able to determine he always tries a certain move when he has a nothing hand, or his reaction to your move is always the same.

Personally, I use the induce a bluff move mostly on the river. The other streets you have to play with a little more style because that is when you are going to push him off a weak/nothing hand most easily. If he made it to the river with nothing he will probably try one more time with it. On the river you should be inducing bluffs when the only hand you can beat is a bluff i.e. Ace high or pocket deuces. You should be value betting and maybe check raising your hands classified as good and up.