Thread: Playing Deep
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2005, 05:03 PM

Default Re: Playing Deep

If you can get 1/2 your stack in then you will have the odds to call a turn bet even if a scare card comes. The drawbacks are that you won't have enough left to offer him improper odds on the turn if a blank comes off, and he could have the best hand right now. But there are many hands that you would be ahead of that he might play this way, e.g. QJTT, AQJ9os, AQJJ, JTT9, 679J, etc. Your odds are even better if you have some blocking cards on the side of your KK. He needs some very specific hands to be ahead, and, even then, he will be not be better than 55-45 or so most of the time.

If you chose to call, I wouldn't worry too much about having villain bluff a scare card with middle set. If villain has middle set, and you just call, he is going to put you on a very strong draw and any card that scares you will scare him. Villain will be able to save his money on the turn if the board pairs, however. One good thing about just calling is that you might trick middle set into firing at a blank on the turn.

I suspect that this decision (raise/call) is very close to EV neutral, so how you play it should probably depend on what kind of table image you want and how much variance you can tolerate. I would usually raise, because I don't wan't anyone to start thinking that they should get cute from out of position against me. Re-raising with a legitimate hand like this one will slow down anyone who thinks check-raising me is a good idea because I am playing too aggressively in late position.