View Single Post
Old 05-17-2005, 06:51 PM

Default Re: Why are steroids illegal in most sports?

[ QUOTE ]

If these guys want to kill themselves getting faster and stronger so they can entertain me better, I've got no problems with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that the point is that most pro atheletes don't want to do this, and really why should anyone have to cut their life expectancy in half in order to make a living? (even if it is a very good living)

It becomes a kind of arms race - There are only a few hundred jobs available at any given pro sport (obviously this varies by sport - There are a lot more NFL jobs available than NBA jobs). For the sake of argument, lets say there are 100 players in a league. Player A is the 100th best player in the world. He just barely makes the cut. Player B is the 101st best player in the league. He doesn't make the cut, doesn't play and doesn't make the big bucks.

Player B roids up.

Now player B is now the 96th best player in the league and Player A has just been bumped down to 101th. He's out of the league and out of a job. So what does he do? He either goes and works at some used car dealership or he has to go on the juice himself. And a domino effect begins as the next guy displaced off the ladder needs to become competitive. Eventually everyone has to be on roids, even though 90% of them don't want to be.

It's one this to have an arms race in nutrition, training, coaching, scouting, &etc. At least that stuff won't kill you. But really, if they just throw up their hands and say "Oh well, everyone's doing it" they might as well just hand them all swords and call them Gladiators...