View Single Post
Old 09-03-2005, 05:52 PM

Default Re: how to tell if someone is lying

[ QUOTE ]
These kinds of posts make me laugh at pop psychology. Here they are in rank order.

#1 - Change in voice
#2 - Change in body/postural movement
#3 - Facial Movement
#4 - What they actually say

The common misconception are the eyes. It's bullshit. They are so unreliable. As a matter of fact, so are the other one's but change in voice and bodily movements are much more reliable than the face. Countless studies have shown that people have less control of their bodily movements (such as legs & posture) than other parts of their body. If you are going to use something use those. The 4th most reliable tell is my favorite though. If the person say's something that can't possibly make logical sense, it's a lie. Other than that, it's hard to tell by what they say.

Oh yeah, Milo is right on about lie detecting people. FBI "lie detection" agents have shown to be slightly better at detecting than regular police officers/detectives, federal judges, and lay persons. But the of the other three, there have been no differences shown between the other three groups however.

STOP READING THOSE STUPID BOOKS ON THE PSYCHOLOGY SHELF AT THE BARNES AND NOBLE! THEY ARE JUNK! Unless of course they are by Dr. Al, he's da man. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with everything you say apart from the eyes, I think being able to tell if someone is lying is completely based on the individual and situation, everyone is different. The reason I disagree with your statement about the eyes is because they can be used as an indicator, not a sole indicator, but a clue nonetheless.

Basic visual cues can give a lot of information away, now I don't think that is to say that if you've mapped someones pattern for top left = VR (visual remembered) and top right is VC (visual constructed) that every time they look to their top right they are lying. Some people like to use their imagination to facilitate remembering a particular image.

I don't think anyone can generally detect lies off of someone they have just met with great accuracy unless they are very skilled, you have to map their patterns and pay attention to their most likely motives for each answer they give based on the situation they find themselves in.