View Single Post
Old 12-04-2005, 04:28 PM

Default Re: simultaneous overpair turns early in a session

On hand one I think against a farily passive player you can assume you are usually behind here but if the villian has hit 2 pair you have 8 outs getting 7-1 but you could also be drawing dead to a straight. Calling here though leaves us in a tough position where if we miss we will have an over pair getting 9-1 and will likely not want to fold on the river, also if somethng like a 9 falls we may be against an 89 fh or a counterfeited J8 2 pair or a QT straight. Since the opponent is fairly passive and we may be drawing dead and when we have outs we will be unable to raise for value if we hit them I think this is a fold.

For hand 2, it is much more likely the villain has improved to a hand that is still worse than ours as we even have JT beat and it is possible he has hit some sort of flush draw/ straight draw combination that he is raising with but we are still ahead of and we hold the Qc a stopper card to many of the possible draws. Here I reccomend a 3-bet and then a value bet on the river unless a scare card hits. If he caps I call and then call the river.

Edit: There are no legitimate draws the villain could have here after 4 betting this flop, but in a blind steal situatuion I think villain shows AT or JT often enough that with no reads a call down is best but with reads villain is agressive especially in blind steal situatuions there is still value in raising.