View Single Post
Old 12-09-2005, 06:46 AM

Default Re: Okay, WTF is going on?????

well...losing minds think alike I suppose (???).

I only wish I was at break-even in my 2nd stretch.
My latest downswing nightmare continued for another 20BB's in another 1000+ hands tonight.
Obviously 20BB's is not very noteworthy...but when you string together as many minus 20-40 BB days I have they tend to add up kinda fast.

The variance 'excuse' is a dangerous one.

If you're losing because you suck you can still go a LONG time just complaining about how you've been getting bad cards and the variance has really been burning you lately....and it won't really look that different from a winning player who is just going through an extended streak.

Many poker-players live in denial ("I could be a huge winner if I only had the bankroll"...stuff like that).
It's very difficult to self-assess one's play.

How many poker players really think they play badly?
If they thought their play was bad they wouldn't be playing that way in the first place.
Therefore, almost everyone THINKS that the way they are playing is pretty much the way the game SHOULD be played. This includes many losing players (including all those annoying table-whiners and cussers in the chat-box).

Because of this it's pretty difficult to tell when one actually does have mistakes.
As I said before...if you knew they were mistakes you wouldn't have played that way to begin with.

I think the thread by Guthrie where he's doing some self-reflecting and is being directed to some of the leaks in his game that he really wasn't THAT aware of is a good example.

But again...it's entirely possible you are playing very solid poker and are getting kind of burned by the cards.
But if you're that good a player you should be fairly certain that you weren't missing opportunities to win or save extra bets on specific hands you played (you would KNOW if you were getting unlucky imo).