View Single Post
Old 11-14-2005, 07:50 AM

Default Re: No significant transfer value from limit to no limit?

[ QUOTE ]
... is there really nothing from what I learn in limit that improves my no limit game? Or do I even get a lot of habits, that ruins my no limit game?

[/ QUOTE ]
If you understand why you do things in limit, this may carry over to improve your NL game. However, if you blindly follow recipes that work in limit, you will find that these often do not work in NL.

For example, in limit, you may have learned that it is rarely right to cold-call. In NL, it is often right just to call a raise preflop. In limit, if you are strong enough to enter the pot, you usually want to increase the pressure on the blinds or limpers by 3-betting, and you don't mind so much if the initial raiser caps. In NL, the preflop raise already prices out the blinds unless they have strong hands, and you can profitably call with many hands with which you would greatly regret reraising if the initial raiser pushes.

In general, bets and calls represent more strength in NL than in limit. Implied odds are much more important. It is more important to play hands that can make very strong hands rather than just decent hands. Position improves your implied odds, so position is more important in NL than limit.