View Single Post
Old 12-11-2005, 05:34 AM

Default Re: Technology\'s Future Psychological Impact

I'm not sure if I'm off topic in this reply, but an inquiry about the changing roles of technology in people's lives and people's understandings of those technologies, must include the concept of technologies and tools as "extensions of man" as put forth by Marshal McLuhan in "Understanding Media." (a book which has more B.S in it than any book I've taken to read seriously since I read Aristotle). I think that, right now, we're at a point where the precise way in which technology will become part of us is unclear. As an analogy for what I mean by this, the tool that delivers a blunt, quick force underwent much transformation before it became the hammer that is used by carpenters today that is carried around with instant access for the dominant hand that also doubles as a prybar/nail puller. But electronic technology is much more complex, and there are many many more paths it could take before it becomes as seamless in our existence as the carpenter's hammer is in his. The Ipod, a few new multipurpose devices like camera phones and perhaps even Skype, are offering already a dramatic movement toward seamlessness, and they are really just the begining. So exactly how technology will change people's lives is still unclear as exactly how the technology will change is not determined yet.

As far as people's understanding of the technology they use goes, I think one major difference with electronic technology is that, even if someone knows a lot about a thing, and understands it well, often that person just can't fix it. So, along with there being a lack of understanding of the technology and it's general principles, there is also a lack of power over it even for those who do understand the thing. This change almost gives the electronic tools in our lives a life of their own (albiet a disposable life). Along with this life like quality, the experience I feel when the Internet is down/cuts out, or I have to run a virus scan or restart my computer is not unlike dealing with a person in my life that is bothering, ignoring, or leaving me. There's anxiety, helplessness and the results of pure rage are usually quite bad. I have never had experiences that mimic people with any other type of technology, not cars, books, powertools etc. I think the reason for this is that interacting with information technology often does not allow a person to have mastery over the tool. It feels like we are at the mercy of this thing which often feels like it has a will of it's own, but in any case we are its servant and we are forced to come to terms with this in a way no other technology has required us to do.