View Single Post
Old 11-09-2004, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Favorite sng threads

Since this comes up about every month or so...

I'd like to make a point as the original author of that advice...first, it's a bit dated. In a few posts since then and some back and forth with other bloggers, I made some changes, some of which I took the time to write about and others I didn't. Many of the problems are covered in the comments. Particularly flop play and river play, and the 1-4-4-4 thing. Words like "always" and "never".

Please note that the main thrust of the article was to get people to avoid situations that were troublesome for them, not as an all-encompassing guide to SNG's. Many people starting out in SNG's make mistakes in big pots early on that cripple them. This was designed to keep people in a comfort zone and make for easier and fewer decisions. While deficient in some areas, you will win at low-buy-ins with that. The 43% ROI was true.

I also want to stress that it's typically bad etiquette for bloggers to go back and revise posts after the fact. State corrections and move on. If you read later posts, you'd see that was usually done or opinions softened.

That said, you're not beating $50+ SNG's playing like that. I'm completely aware of this. But, I can also say that the traditional style put forth in the 2+2 guide among others is occasionally deficient in situations unique to lower buy-ins.

Different strokes for different folks.

All in all, remember I just have a humble blog with 60 visitors daily. Yet, I've seen this linked by several other poker bloggers and it's making at least its second appearance here. Some people like it. It worked for me for a while, but I've evolved since then.

My advice now? Start with the 2+2 guide (most thorough), but keep an open mind. It never hurts.