View Single Post
Old 12-19-2005, 05:31 PM

Default Re: Falcons @ Bears: Opportunity Knocks

[ QUOTE ]
I moved from Chicago to FL (btw we had the A/C on when we were watching the game) and I can't get Chicago news here. I know 75% of chi-town is busy searching for superbowl tickets on e-bay. I'm curious what the Chicagoans who know something about football are saying after last night's game.

I'd imagine the consensus is that Grossman has always been the better QB, Lovie made the right decision at halftime, and that we could go deep in the playoffs but a Superbowl ring is something close to 0%. Is that about right?

[/ QUOTE ] Though not a Chicagoan, I am a Bears fan who claims to know something about football.

I was over the top pumped last night. If the Bears can move the ball on 4-5 drives a game they can beat almost anyone.

I have calmed down a bit as I think that while Grossman is more comfortable than Orton he is also a bigger risk taker. This could turn into some problems. I'm also afraid every time Grossman even comes close to being hit. Plus, there is a good shot that Orton's confidence is now gone and if Grossman was to get hurt again he would have trouble running the offense.

All in all though, this is really good for the running game if the defensive team has to think about the pass. The offensive line has been great the whole year. The defense looks refocused after a terrible tackling day against the Steelers.

These are a big two weeks in my mind. If the Bears can win out and pick up the #2 seed I like them against any NFC team that has to come to Chicago that second week of January considering it will probably be the Panthers, Bucs or Giants. Add to that that Seattle could implode at any time and I think with the second seed they have a good chance of coming out of the NFC.

I think they would be a monster underdog in any Superbowl game, maybe even a record underdog, but I would love to be in that spot.

Sometimes the year works out well. The Bears have been healthy for the most part this year and that doesn't happen to often in the NFL. This is one of those seasons where everything seems to be breaking their way. And Grossman gives them the best opportunity to make that a big break.

I don't know if I want to put any numbers on this, but I know I have a good feeling.