View Single Post
Old 12-02-2005, 01:10 PM

Default Re: when money at the job just doesnt matter...

It depends on how much you like your job. If it's a paycheck and nothing else, then I'd imagine it would be hard to stay motivated at work in any case - and especially so if you're making as much at poker as your full-time job. If you don't need the money, and money's the only reason you're doing the job, then how can you stay motivated? On the other hand, if you like your job then you will stay motivated regardless of how your poker's going.

A steady paycheck, paid vacation, health benefits, etc... these are all nothing to sneeze at. But in the end it is a personal decision to take the risk and go pro. It depends on your own personality and situation. I personally am pretty risk-averse by nature, so I don't think I'd ever be cut out for the life of a professional gambler. If I didn't like my job or career (luckily I do), I'd probably be more likely to look for another one than play poker as my only income. But others have taken the plunge, gone pro, and are happy with their decision.

You should definitely read Ed Miller's series of article in the magazine if you're seriously considering going pro.