View Single Post
Old 10-06-2005, 04:53 PM

Default Re: Decision to call 3 allins with 1/4 my stack with pocket 9\'s

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and I put my 3 opponents on one with a lower pocket pair, and between the other two players, they had three overcards to my 9's, so I figured I had good pot equity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't you just put them on 22, 33, and 44, to make the decision really easy?

There is no way you can look at an all-in bet and know that it means a low pair or a medium pair or two high cards. And "putting someone on a hand" does not mean that if someone has a 60% chance of holding a pair and a 40% chance of holding two big cards, that you figure "he probably has a pair."

The question here is: what percentage of the time will one of your opponents have a pair higher than 99? It's not a question of whether they "probably" do or don't, it's a question of quantifying the percentage. When they don't have a higher pair, it's usually a fairly reasonable call. When they do, it's awful. So you have to assign some percentages and figure out whether you rate to be +EV or -EV overall, rather than just guessing a particular scenario and going with it.