View Single Post
Old 07-11-2005, 05:06 PM

Default Re: I Need Help With A Very Important Decision!!! (NOT Related to Poke

I usually spend my time reading 2+2 but I figure I would contribute here.

I have two degree's myself, one in Engineering and the other in Economics. So I spent a fair amount of time in school (5 years) do full dual degrees in both and I am pretty sure that Psychology will be a better match with economics.

Economics at heart is the study of two things, scarcity and utility. Scarcity of course means that we have unlimited wants but limited resources to fulfill those wants as society and as individuals. Utility is the study of how we individually solve the scarcity problem by maximizing what we get out of our limited resources.

Psychology which I know little about is the study how why humans do, and react as we do. If you combine the ideas of Utility and Psychology you can have some very interesting discussion and subject matter about why people don't always pick their optimal utility point, and a variety of other economic subjects.

For example there was an article in the NY times earlier this year (you can probably Google it up) about a research who was exploring how monkeys interacted with money, and if they could understand its concepts. Its an interesting paper from an economics point of view as the monkeys do maximize their utility as well as from psychological point of view as it makes mention of one monkey trading sexual favors for money.

I've enjoyed what my economics degree brings to my engineering work in understanding the market underneath my projects and I think Physc is an excellent match for an economics degree.