View Single Post
Old 12-29-2005, 05:47 PM

Default Re: How did you choose your career (semi-long)

I was a big computer geek in jr high and high school and got into graphics/game programming back then. I found out I was really good at programming and software design, so that's what I assumed my career would be. I went to college, got a degree in computer science, and started working. I've been working in the "real world" for about 8 years and it's recently dawned on me that I don't really like computers, programming, or office life. I'd never stopped to consider all of the career possibilities for me out there.

I'm not sure it's possible for you to choose a career that you'll like before you actually go out and try something. Maybe it is, but for me, I had to work for a while in a particular environment to find out if I liked it - and it took a while. Remember, what makes a good hobby does not necessarily make a good career.

What's next for me? I'm registering for community college classes this spring to clean up some admission requirements for med school in a year or two. In the meantime, I'm very strongly considering dealing p*ker to get out of the office.