View Single Post
Old 12-29-2005, 03:16 PM

Default Re: How did you choose your career (semi-long)

[ QUOTE ]
I actually have a similar background as you. Except I went to college for Music Technology and ended up just working in technology. I did IT in the finance industry up until September. Then I started my own business.

I also grew up with a family in the restaurant business so food was in my blood I guess. With the money I saved working in IT, I bought into a franchise. I've been open since November and so far so good.

Bottom line is that you need to start somewhere at least for investment capital. IT is a great place because you can jump into a decent paying job pretty quickly.

Do that, save some money, and then invest in yourself and your future in something you think you can do for the rest of your life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome, this gives me some hope. I have family that owns a chain of 30-40 Italian places around the midwest, but, honestly other than what Ive learned since I was a kid working in them, I dont know much about the industry (Im learning a lot now though, because Im settung up POS/Accounting/IT stuff in a ton of bars/restaurants). I think I am at the point, becuase I live on my own, pay less than 200$/mo in rent (my uncles building), and have little bills, that between poker/IT stuff etc, I hope to do what you did. GL with your place