View Single Post
Old 11-09-2004, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Top Boat vs Quads?

Eh, why would you want to get away from this hand? You've got the second nuts and quads are very unlikely, even in omaha. I can see possibly if you have a good read on a player MAYBE getting away from the hand with VERY deep stacks, but I've never been in that situation before. Plus anybody with sixes, seven or a twos full boat could potentially play it like your opponent did.

A situation I've been pondering is the classic top 2 pair, turning into a boat versus an overboat hand. For example, you have AQxx, and the flop comes AQx, and the turn is a Q. I'm sure most omaha players are familiar with the ups and downs of betting out with top 2 pair, and happily making a boat, only to find out someone has AAxx in their hand for the overboat. I'm not sure if there's a way to get away from this hand either. I typically lose all of my money in this situation because I don't play with players who'll reliably lay down trip queens or maybe a lower boat. If you get bet into with this hand, it seems as if, similar to the quads hand, you're just going to lose your money, because simply calling with it seems too timid. Any thoughts?

(I don't mean to derail the original poster's quads question, by the way.)