Thread: Theory of Poker
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2004, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Theory of Poker

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure this has been discussed before but what's all this about not shutting an opponent out of the pot in hold'em on 4th street say when you hold a straight/flush and you put your opponent on 2 pair. DS says that he bets enough so that the opponent will make a fundamental error by drawing to the FH (that bit's fine by me) but then he went on to say that his opponent hits on fifth and he pays him off.
Despite being one of the first at my school to learn long multiplication, I am not going to consider challenging the thinking but I'd just like an explanation. All I can see is that any equity gained by tempting your opponent in is just lost when you pay it off on the end. Would it not just be better to shut him out and move on to the next? (That might have come across as a challenge. Take it as you wish).

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't necessarily lose back everything you gained. Take the following example:

You: J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Opponent: K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Board: A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

You have the nut straight. Your opponent has 4 outs to win (out of the 44 cards remaining)

Assumptions: The pot is $10. You bet $2. Your opponent calls. If he makes his full house, he'll bet $5 and you'll call. If he doesn't make it, he'll fold.

40 times your opponent won't make his full house. You'll win $12 each time for a total of $480.
4 times he will make the FH. You'll lose $7 each time for a total of -$28.
Your net after 44 times is +$452.

If your opponent folds to your turn bet, you will win $10 all 44 times for a net of +$440.

You do better by having him call the turn, even if you call his bet on the river.