View Single Post
Old 07-07-2005, 12:19 AM

Default Re: Simon Trumper\'s reply on ESPN

[ QUOTE ]
people seem to view it as "smart, tricky play" rather than the prisoner's dilemma defection

[/ QUOTE ]

In this case, I would hardly call it prisoner's dillema defection. Trumper was thinking for approximately 2 mintues to gain an extra ~10,000 chips. Remember, at this point, average stack was 30,000 or so. Though the value of each of those chips decreases, that's still a hefty amount.

Prisoner's dilemma states that there is a greater benefit in cooperating (ie not making stalls like this), but instead people make stalls where they can get +EV scenarios but not nearly as much as they could have if they had played to speed.

I agree with the above sentiments, but you can't apply prisoner's dilemma to this hand in particular. We are talking an additional 2 minutes for an extra 10,000 chips. This should not be an argument. The benefits of potentially getting Greenstein to call out of spite far outweigh the benefits of playing "to speed" and getting Greenstein to lay the hand down more often than not (I would hopefully assume).