View Single Post
Old 07-04-2005, 07:38 AM

Default Re: Daily Hand Post: play along in a marginal situation

Grammar is a bit sloppy but this is a good post.

A few hours ago I thought a call here was probably pretty close. I'm convinced it's bad now though.

There are two situations:

A. You are behind

If you are behind, you are in deep deep trouble. Let's go through all of your potential outs one by one.

7- Ironically, a 7 would be one of the worst cards that can hit the turn. It gives EVERY SINGLE straight draw a better hand than yours except 32. Anybody with a PP is still ahead of you because your 5's are counterfeited. The ONLY way a 7 helps you is if someone had something like A5 and everybody else had broadway cards.

5- Can get you in big trouble if somebody has a 6. If nobody has a 6 you will have a very hard time getting anybody to call you. Sometimes you will chop.

Backdoor straights- Will often be chopped or lose to a better straight or full house.

A. You are Ahead

Firstly I don't think you will be ahead here very often. A bet and two callers I would randomly guess means someone has a better 5 or a 6 more than half the time. As pointed out above, you are drawing virtually dead if you are behind.

But, if you are ahead...

How will you play the turn no matter what card comes? If it is checked to you, sometimes you will be checkraised. If somebody bets, you will sometimes fold the best hand.

The best case scenario for you is that all three flop players have just overcards. Even in this case you will have to dodge around 12 outs twice and will have to make very hard decisions if anybody bets.

Finally, the very few times you do end up winning you will not win very much.