View Single Post
Old 12-05-2005, 06:48 AM

Default Re: Interesting AQT4ds hand

Joe,

You know from my posts here that I too advocate playing fewer hands and playing tightly. More so than many other players here. And I too actually play in certain ways to reduce my variance. Rolf has alluded to this in a couple of his articles and said that he is accused of playing too weak tight when he is trying to lose less on the pots he loses by playing certain situations softer.

But the key point in the hand in question in this thread, is that you have a monster equity advantage againt multiple players even though you are behind on the turn. This simply means that you should get every dollar in the pot then while you can and before one of your outs comes on the river which will often kill your subsequent action. This is a +EV situation and you want to play it as many times as you can for as much as you can, and not doing so is an error.

Since I read the nl forums, I have over time read lots of Ray Zee's posts and in fact read them regarding limit even though I don't play that anymore. He talked about this type of thing in one post and said that the reason that it is such a big error to either pass up or not get as much money in a pot in these types of situations, even when your edge might only be as "little" as 1%, is that you get to do it over and over, and that the earn from such situations might be all that keeps your bankroll above water during a bad run. And an important side advantage in plo of playing extremely good draws hard is that it often allows you to get paid off more times when you have a set which adds further to your earn.

I quoted the adage in a post above that the enemy of the best is the good. Don't fail to be better than good.