View Single Post
Old 10-11-2005, 04:41 PM

Default Re: The Conclusion of the hand

There's only one time I've ever min(re)raised, and that was post flop when I wanted to play a hand heads up, but without losing the original raiser... so I minraised making it less enticing for others to call, but keeping the original guy in.

Preflop, I can only think of one reason to minraise:
If you're at a table and you know some maniac/lag bet, was called by a bunch of limpers, and you know the LAG will reopen the betting if you minraise it, and you have aces and know it will allow you to get him all in preflop, then maybe a minraise is in order. But that's so rare, its the exception.

Most of the time, I see this from the idiotic minraisers... 4-5 people limp pf, the button minraises it, UTG makes a major reraise, and then everyone including the minraiser folds. If you're going to minraise it, then you should be prepared to play a real raise, perhaps even up to an all in.

2 other thoughts: I always wonder... If one is sitting at a $25 table and they minraise it every time they're in a hand, I don't understand why the person doesn't just sit at a $50 table? Since the raise is doing nothing except doubling the big blind, they should just move up a table.

The other is related to minraising... nothing spells fish more then these guys who call raises PF... the pot is now $4 and some guy in EP now leads on the flop... for a quarter, then folds when someone raises it. Is there any point to that quarter bet other then it being a charitable donation to your opponents? lol