View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 12:00 PM

Default Poll, should I continue taking this shot?

First off, I don't want this to come off as a brag post. I am looking for advice from people who have taken shots at limits they are not necesarily bankrolled for.

I recently ran well in my regular games of 3/6 6max and 5/10 6max. I decided I'd take a 25BB shot at 10/20 6max. If I lost that 25BB, I check it off as a learning experience for moving up in the future.

So far I'm 800 hands in and am up to 75BB for that level. I just ran some 'risk of ruin' calculations and came up with the following:

Assuming a standard deviation of 16.5BB / 100, my risk of ruin (ruin = losing my 10/20 winnings and initial 25BB investment) for different hypothetical winrates are as follows:

Winrate = 2.0, ROR = 33%
Winrate = 1.5, ROR = 44%
Winrate = 1.0, ROR = 58%

I feel like I am probably between 1.0 and 1.5 BB / 100 winner in this game (if one can even estimate such a thing).

How should I proceed from here? If I continue taking this shot, am I effectively flipping a coin for 75BB ($1,500)? When I look at it that way it makes me want to discontinue taking the shot. Perhaps I can remove my initial 25BB investment so that if I lose my winnings I will have gained 'free' experience at 10/20.

What do you think?