View Single Post
Old 11-09-2005, 03:40 PM

Default Re: Are atheists better poker players than theists?

DS summerized -
[ QUOTE ]
"People who truly believe in the specifics of particular religions are much less likely to be good poker players given the importance of objective evidence evaluation that poker requires."

[/ QUOTE ]

DS has expressed it from a few angles, none of which are caught by this much more general statement of Txag007 -
[ QUOTE ]
Poker is only now becoming more mainstream. Now that it is more widely accepted, more and more theists will emerge as top players, especially at the tournament level.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if 80% of top players of the future are theists ( the approximate american population ratio of theist - nontheist) that would have no bearing on DS's claim. It's a specific mindset about their faith that is an indicator of the style of thinking not helpful in shifting analytical strategy situations where everything is relative, poker, bridge, military strategy ( not so much tactics), theoretical physics, for instance.

General theistic beliefs based on a leap of faith doesn't automatically send out the warning signals. It's the dogmatic specific parts of the faith ( whatever it is) being defended as arrived at logically that is the 'tell'.

luckyme,
if I thought I was wrong, I'd change my mind.