View Single Post
Old 12-30-2005, 03:55 AM

Default Re: I can\'t get away from top set here can I?

[ QUOTE ]

I would prefer as an educated adult who has played A LOT of poker, that if you disagree with what I post then you respond in kind and explain why you disagree. There are a LOT of people on this forum who play poker (especially online) strictly by the math. That's fine. In this particular situation, I would BET that you are behind enough here that a fold isn't giving anything up. You likely only have 22-23% equity to boat up here, and unless I'm doing the math wrong you're getting only 76-77% here.

If you think you've seen passive fish mini-raise a turn card like this when they are drawing or possibly behind, well what can I say, then either they aren't truly passive fish OR you've been extremely lucky.

Is there something you don't understand about my post, or you just think that hero should shove it in because well, look he has top trips here.... duhh...

[/ QUOTE ]
Hero if behind has 10 outs. 1 king, 3 queens, 3 nines, and 3 sevens. It's possible an out is tainted-like vs JT[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] a Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] will give someone a str8 flush. Or, some of his outs are used, like vs QT[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Or, he's not really behind, but some of the outs he's looking for, are taken, like vs 77 now he only has 7 outs. (the 7 will make 77 quads, and the other 7s which would pair the board are in villains' hand!)

But most of the time we assume we're behind aflush or str8. (JT or XX[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]) This leaves 4 cards "known" 4 on the board, and 52 in a deck of cards. If we have 10 outs, 10 out of 44 = 22.7% equity.

Hero, to call, needs to put 76$ in the pot. If he calls, the pot size will be 380. So, if he has 20% equity (and he has more) pot odds alone he should make the call.

This is assuming we're always behind and that we wont win anything more on the river!

The reality is sometimes Hero is ahead and if he just calls river on a non pairing board will go check/check. And sometimes, he calls and the river pairs, Hero pushes, and gets called.

So no matter what (even 100% behind and wont get paid off if Hero improves) folding would be criminal.

edit - if those stipulations are true, folding is not criminal parsay, but it would be passing up a +EV situation. (because it costs hero 76 to play a pot where his pot equity is worth ~86, so passing is 0EV, but calling is +10$)