View Single Post
Old 12-25-2005, 08:24 AM

Default A crazy holiday poker story and an ethical question (low content)

It's 6 AM and b/c I'm an insomniac, I'm playing HU 10/20 NL. The player is really really terrible. I'm being really nice to him in chat and find out he had a big tourney score. Anyway, he bad beats me horrendously and gets very apologetic about it. I didn't type anything in the chat and didn't even show my hand so he doesn't even know for sure that it's a bad beat (it is). Now, a few of the railbirds start talking about christmas spirit and what not and are cajoling him into sending me the $1200 back that he won from the bad beat. He then types "OK, 'insert SN', sent. Merry XMas". I look at my account balance a couple minutes later and he actually sent it. We continue playing and chatting it up and of course within 20 minutes or so I have cleaned him out. He lost $3,000 in all, including the $1,200 he transferred. He is out of money and can't reload because it would "overdraw" his bank account. I don't know what his financial condition is or what he does for a living.

Does anyone feel obligated to do anything?

If you do, would you bring it up and send back the $1,200 on your own, or wait for someone to suggest it, or only send it back if he asks for it?

Would you then accept a rematch? (Unless he hit and runs which is unlikely, this is a virtual guarantee I will have the money in the end)

Or just let him keep the $1,200?

Or leave without saying anything and keep the $?