View Single Post
Old 12-28-2005, 08:38 AM

Default Caesars Palace 1-2: Deep stacks, Maniacal Bettor, 66 on a K,4,3 flop

Since the Caesars Palace poker room opened up in Las Vegas a week ago, I've gone there a few times and tried out the 1-2 no-limit games. With a maximum buy-in of $500 (rather than the normal $200 max in Vegas), there is often quite a bit of money on the table.

In the early Wednesday morning hours, I was on a table that had about $2,700 to $3,300 on it, including several players with $400-$700.

There was one young, drinking, Dutch Boyd lookalike at my table. He played about 67% of his hands. In just about every hand he played, he raised to $20 pre-flop.

This guy was more than willing to back up his pre-flop raises with strong post-flop bets, raises, and re-raises. In one specific hand, he bet $20 into a ~$60 pot on the flop, an opponent check-raised him another $20. He re-raised $100 more. His opponent put him all-in. The guy folded, showing no hand and no draw (on a flop of A,Q,x).

So, he's hyper-aggressive, nearly impossible to intimidate, and enjoying himself while playing this way. But, he's not clueless. He's betting a lot. He'll make loose calls for sure. But, he's not calling huge bets with nothing.

I've been card dead and playing tight. So, I've been nearly invisible at the table.

The hand:

A couple of ultra-loose players limp for $2 to me in mid-late position. They both have about $250 in front of them. I pick up 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I limp as well knowing it will likely get bumped to $20. I have about $425 in front of me. Everyone else folds to the Maniacal Bettor in the big blind who makes his standard raise to $20. The Manical Bettor has about $550 in front of him. Both ultra-loose players call (calling $20 pre-flop raises was rather standard at this table). I called as well.

Four players saw the flop with $77 in the pot (after rake).

The flop is: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

The Manical Bettor is first to act and bets $20. This is a fairly standard play for him and has taken down quite a few pots. It's also allowed him to fold weak hands when somebody holding a real hand raises expecting to get action from him.

Both ultra-loose players fold and it's heads up between myself and the Maniacal Bettor.

I decided to call. Comments?

Two players saw the turn with $117 in the pot.

The turn is: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

My opponent bet $70.

Your play?