View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 05:35 PM

Default Re: On Golden Pond, but no catch

[ QUOTE ]
They played every hand, called every bet all the way to the showdown. Sounds like a dream, right? Unfortunately, at least one of them would suck out on the end, killing my monster hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's poker, not chess. In a soft game, every 100 hands an expert might win 5 BB +- 25 BB. That means it would take 2500 hands for breaking even to be 1 standard deviation below average (about 1 in 6), and 10,000 hands for breaking even to be 2 standard deviations below average (about 1 in 40).

You made a profit in far fewer hands. I'm not saying you were lucky, but you don't have much to complain about. At more substantial stakes, you will not be able to win nearly as frequently or as much.

[ QUOTE ]

They thought I was a maniac, though I was raising preflop with AA, KK, AK, and AQ.

[/ QUOTE ]
I hope you were raising with much more than that. Don't be discouraged by the results. Punish loose players by raising with hands that would be overlimps or folds against tight players.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm UTG with AA and raise. UTG+1 reraises. Call, Call, Call, I cap. Flop is A T 2 rainbow and I bet my set of aces. Call, Call, Call, Call. Turn is 9. I bet, fold, Call, Call. River is 8, I bet and button raises. I make a crying call and button shows J7o for straight.

[/ QUOTE ]
You should 3-bet the river for value because a weaker hand like TPTK or 2-pair or a set is much more likely than a straight. You would have an easy call of the cap, not a crying call.

[ QUOTE ]

Should I adjust to this kind of play or just play the normal tight-aggressive style?

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course you should adjust (see SSHE), but the normal tight-aggressive style crushes this game, too. It just doesn't get full value.