View Single Post
Old 10-24-2005, 11:37 PM

Default Re: Flop overbet

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if folding is a mistake, then it's probably only a small mistake;

[/ QUOTE ]
I strongly disagree. If he has AK, folding is a huge mistake. I'd be a 3:1 favorite in a huge pot. If he has A7, folding is a huge mistake. I'd be a 3.5:1 favorite in a huge pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree with your strong disagreement.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are my numbers wrong? They certainly make it look like folding could be a large mistake.

[ QUOTE ]
Folding the better hand in this place is a small mistake. Sure, if you’re up against AK or A7 you’re a 4-1 favorite, but against most everything else that pushes this hard you’re a huge dog at worst and a slight coinflip dog at best.

[/ QUOTE ]
You have repeated that there are hands against which I am a small dog. I don't see any. Please give actual hands as examples of this.

[ QUOTE ]
you don’t have a good idea of what he has + you have a huge pot to play with a marginal hand at best.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not in the habit of folding just because my hand is marginal, nor of getting involved because I have a strong hand. The question is how my hand compares with his range of hands, and how much each of us can get paid off.

A major part of the problem is to figure out the range of hands with which he might make this overbet. What hands do you think he has?

[ QUOTE ]
It’s a mistake to overbet unless he has some sort of maniacal image and thinks he is going to get paid off.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, it's not necessarily a mistake. It might be a great bluff, as it would risk 32 BB to pick up 7.5 BB, but apparently many people would fold more than 80% of the time, and he might have some equity if called. It might be a great value bet if this gets the most money in on average with a monster. (See Ed Miller's article in this month's 2+2 magazine.)

[ QUOTE ]

I think there are much better times than in this spot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, calling all-in with AA a couple of orbits before was better. That is not a good argument against getting involved here.