View Single Post
Old 04-12-2005, 06:57 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: Kids can be cuel. A beautiful story

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else think that bringing the blind child to the egg hunt in the first place is a horrible decision?

[/ QUOTE ]

In writing this, I agree and it did cross my mind, it does seem odd to do that to your kid. I couldn't remember the mothers thoughts on this or the situation surrounding it. But I'll give her the benefit until I, if I, ever find that article/letter again. I have a feeling there was a good reason. Or upon initially reading it, that'd likely have been one of my first thoughts also. Cynical and sarcastic that I am.

However, if you had a blind kid, and she was really looking forward to an egg hunt, wouldn't you take her? I mean, let's say all her little friends are talking about it. However, you're in a small town so there's no egg hunt offered for 'handicapped' kids. Just a scenario.

Wouldn't holding the kid back from participating also be reminding her of her problem? Especially if all her friends would be going? Sometimes the kid just wants to be there and participate to be normal, not necesarily succeed at it or 'win' anything. There's a pro and con to both sides.

I think it's a little different if the kid is likely to be teased and ridiculed. Which I don't remember ever happening to anyone at an egg hunt.

Anyways,

it's still a cool story.

b