View Single Post
Old 09-13-2005, 09:04 PM

Default Re: theory q.

[ QUOTE ]
Heck, apparently I should start making this play with 72o, as all the good players seem to "know" that it means AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is, in the min-reraiser's spot, you don't know for sure whether the initial raiser is stealing or holding a bona fide hand. If you suspect steal but have a good hand yourself, a min-raise might be somewhat logical. First, you get more money in the pot when ahead. Second, if he just calls rather than reraises you all in, you get information (weak or trapping). However, if you started minraising the initial raiser with garbage a certain percentage of the time, you are going to be spewing chips when he comes over the top and you have to fold (which he will do lets say 1/4 times given the stacks here). A resteal with garbage is going to be much more likely to push over the top for much more than the minimum amount to take advantage of fold equity.

Because the minraise bluff from the blinds is so expensive in this spot, and because almost everyone in the intial raiser's spot calls this bet (and the minreraiser knows this), you have to give the reraiser credit for a hand that has you beaten severely or crushed and disappoint him by folding preflop here, even though it feels so weak you will vomit in your mouth a little bit. Of course, if this happens again, or if someone else minreraises you when you are somewhat strong preflop and you give that person credit for being a thinking player, or you see the minreraiser make this move multiple times at the table, you would tend much more towards calling or playing back. I just think default here is fold.

By the way, I HATE minraises!