View Single Post
Old 10-06-2005, 02:47 PM

Default Re: Blackjack vs Poker

I had been trying to find out what a good hourly BJ rate was. My friend appears to be doing $80-100 per hour. It is widely divergent from your numbers. But I believe he steps it up after a while. 8x = $200. He goes beyond this, top bet could be $500, I'll have to ask him. His system is not optimized, which is why I believe that the floor hasn't tagged him as a counter, just lucky.

[ QUOTE ]
this figure doesn't sound realistic nor sustainable. a KO 1-8 spread on a good 6-deck game (75% pen) has an expectation of about +0.63%. assuming 60 hands dealt per hour with a minimum bet of $25, the average earnings is around $10/hr. so in the long run, I'd expect him to earn no more than the same or slightly less than you do playing $3/5NL, and with a LOT more volatility.

[/ QUOTE ]

He gets lots of perks with the card. 2-3 free nights in a room. He's been offered free show tickets. Life is good when you're beating the house and they want you back!

[ QUOTE ]
this I can believe since a card counter's average bet is about 2x the flat minimum, and comps are generally 20% of that. so if the floorperson was putting him down at $50 or more, then $10+/hr in comp sounds about right.

not that there's a gigantic value about getting Borgata Black, but there are ways to get the upgrade for considerably less bankroll risk or time than either blackjack or poker. for example, there was a recent opportunity for players to get upgraded to Total Rewards Diamond tier at Harrah's or Showboat for a relatively low wagering requirement, and with a 5x comp rate which made it virtually breakeven with the HA. With just 4-5 hours of action and theoretical loss of below $200 (not even including bounceback cash when I return), I am now a VIP at the same level as a slot machine player who has theoretically lost as much as $4000. best of all, I can take the Diamond card to Borgata this weekend and get upgraded to Black on the spot for an entire year.

[/ QUOTE ]