View Single Post
Old 08-24-2005, 11:38 PM

Default Re: Grade the drafts of the Brown Trout Yahoo League

[ QUOTE ]
if i remember correctly, williams was one of the only rb's left on the board w/ a reasonable shot at starting 16 games (or at least being any good in the process)

[/ QUOTE ]

You may be right, but I would've taken Dunn, Barlow, Arrington, Bennett or Taylor before Williams.

[ QUOTE ]
the manning pick was maybe too early, but i let all those TD passes blind me a bit

[/ QUOTE ]

Manning will probably be great this year, QB's just aren't that valuable in your league. You could've picked up a decent QB in 6th rd or later, but no way are you going to get a quality RB there.

[ QUOTE ]
the gates pick: the rb i wanted was still available a couple rounds later (larry johnson), and the elite WR's had just gone off the board, so the thinking was i won't get a WR/RB who's considerably better than what i can get next round, but i can get one of the best TE's now and solidify a really weak position. same reason i'd take a top 5 2B over a top 30 OF, even though the OF has better stats.

[/ QUOTE ]

1st I would've taken Gonzalez ahead of Gates. Gates has 1 great year, Gonzalez has been the top TE forever. 2nd TE's are similar to QB's, there are plenty to go around. Yes, your TE will be a bit better than most of the other team's TE. But drafting him early in the 3rd, you passed up some servicable RB's (Taylor, Brown, Foster, Benson) and some stud WR's (Walker, Wayne, Johnson, Jackson).

Now you're stuck using Larry Johnson as your RB#2 (who won't score more than a couple of points a week unless Holmes is injured) and Keenan McCardell as your flex (who also won't score more than a couple of points a week) and what are you going to do during bye weeks and when some of your guys get injured? Brandon Jacobs??? Reche Caldwell??? You're going to get slaughtered at these positions by MUCH more than your TE is going to gain for you. Taking Gates lost you your only chance to get guys to fill these spots.