View Single Post
Old 08-17-2004, 11:20 PM

Default Re: What THREE books would you recommend to a brand new player....

[ QUOTE ]
I find it interesting that you recommend Middle Limit Holdem before Small Stakes Holdem. May I ask what your reasonong behind this is? You would think it would be the opposite.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think SSH is a more advanced book conceptually than MLH.

In an oversimplified nutshell, I think it is important to have a strong overall strategic approach to the game as a foundation. Despite their respective flaws, WLLH offers a great strategic approach to the game for beginners and MLH is the perfect natural extension of that.

SSH and HPFAP meanwhile are IMO more tactical in nature. I feel most players need to focus on a fundamental strategic approach to the game before worrying about more sophisticated tactical maneuvers that they don't necessarily understand or correctly apply.

Essentially, I think it is good for players to begin with a somewhat weak-tightish mindset that then grows into a more sophisticated attacking strategy. Most newer players have a natural tendency to be loose and aggressive. WLLH followed by MLH should help hammer home a nice weak tight mindset and overall strategy that can then begin to "plug in" the more advanced tactical ideas contained in SSH and HPFAP.

I add TOP in after WLLH because the ideas involved there are too important to overlook once someone has played a few hours and read that initial book. I don't expect my friends to "get" TOP fully that soon in their poker career, but it forces them to look at poker in a dry analytical manner instead of in a "the game is about psyching out your opponents, bluffing and making reads" manner.

Hope this makes sense.