View Single Post
Old 12-14-2005, 10:43 AM

Default Re: Laggiest Game Ever

Okay. About big pairs not holding up -- you're right, most times they don't, against lots of players. But sometimes they do, and they will more than their fair share.

About the little pairs -- yes, if your expected profit when you hit a set and it holds up is 20ish big bets or more, then you should play little pairs for any amount pre-flop.

I disagree with playing little suited connectors. Here's my reasoning, which may or may not be correct. You'll flop a draw or made hand about 1 out of 9 times. Your draw will come through about 1/3 of the time you flop a draw. You'll win if you hit your draw about 80% of the time. So, you pay 8*2BB + (2/3)*8BB + (1/3)*12BB = 25ish BB to win XBB 80% of the time. This means it's a break-even play if your expected profit is around 32BB or so. Can you really count on the pot always being that big? The assumptions are a little pessimistic, but I think they're reasonable. Of course, I could be totally wrong.

For what it's worth, HPFAP talks about extremely loose games somewhere around page 214 or so. I think their argument is believable.

PP