View Single Post
Old 08-08-2005, 01:21 PM

Default A Modest Proposal

Greetings All,

I hereby propose the creation of a not-for-profit Poker Players Trust whose members, should anyone besides myself decide this a worthy of pursuit, distribute the poker profits derived from one pre-selected hour-long session per month to a list of acceptable charities.

I have particular interest in helping children’s charities, including those listed below, although am not adverse to any effort to assist other equally deserving constituencies.

Newborns in Need
Share our Strength
SOS Children’s Villages
Reach Out and Read
Youth Law Center
I Have a Dream Foundation
Doctors of the World
Project Linus
Parents as Teachers
National Children’s Home (UK)
Autism Society of America
Blind Children’s Fund
Books for the Barrios
Camp Heartland Project
CASA (Court Appointed Advocates for Abused Children
Children Awaiting Parents

There are others of course, and I certainly have not analyzed the above enough to determine their suitability. Ultimately, the decisions as to which efforts would receive Trust-donated funds would be through Trust member consensus.

I have been playing for a few years now and although I am not a big hitter, I do relatively well at my regular hangout (2/4 Party) on a part time basis. My day job is intense and doesn’t leave large block of time for poker but I do manage roughly 5K hands per month. If my hour went according to my established average, I am looking at a $38.40 contribution.

I haven’t been involved in any charitable efforts since my NY days on the Charitable Contributions Committee at a previous employer and thought that this would be a great idea; honestly, who among us can’t donate a couple hundred hands to a worthy cause once a month?

If anyone is interested in pursuing this concept, please feel free to say so here and/or PM me. I haven’t fleshed out the details; although it’s a pretty simple concept and certainly the finer mechanisms could be decided upon by the group.

Thanks and Good Luck,

Cizzer

PS-- If something like this already exists among folks here, I apologize for not doing a more thorough search for evidence of it's prior existence.