View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 04:07 PM

Default Re: drawing with two pair in huge pot--a mistake?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I feel my preflop call was okay with two limpers, and when it was raised behind me, I was involved a huge pot. I reraised on the reasoning that
a) I would only win this pot by completing a draw, and
b) if I did hit my draw, everyone else would likely have hands that were very slim to beat me. Therefore I raised to increase their pot odds after the flop and keep them in the hand while building a pot that would be a monster if I won it. I believe this strategy is somewhere in ToP, but I couldn't find the page number.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you find it, let me know. I disagree with this thinking 100%.

Part b seems flawed because you're not making a distinction between flopping a draw and hitting your draw. If you flop a draw, you will lose the pot most of the time. Most of the time, you won't even flop a draw.

If you hit your draw (on the turn or river usually), most of the time players are going to call you down anyway, and the pot size doesn't affect their decision very much.

I don't think you flop and make your draw often enough to bloat the pot 6-handed (you flop a flush draw only about 12% of the time).

[/ QUOTE ]

DS recommends occasionally 3-betting PF with hands like T9s so that, if you flop perfect, people will be enticed to call with overcards, even though they're drawing nearly dead. He specifically says don't do it if they'll call anyways, which these guys will.