Thread: Study Habits
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2005, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Study Habits

[ QUOTE ]
Don't go on the computer unless you absolutely have to. They are amazingly efficient devices: for wasting time. I recently graduated and I tried to only go on the computer if I had a particular task to do. There isn't much else to do to waste time on campus if you aren't surfing the net, so avoid the time wasters.

[/ QUOTE ]

I experience the same problem as OP at work. Unfortunately, my job requires me to be on the computer for 8 hours every day. I've also taken 3 out of 4 years of a software engineering program, where most if not all of my work requires a computer.

I can agree with your suggestion in that I've always been more efficient when not using the computer, and I typically try to do some work by hand every day, whether or not it is necessary.

I think the main problem here is motivation. I've been having this problem at the office for about a month now, where I run away from problems instead of attacking them head on. You need to find a way to get genuinely motivated about your work. Self-respect probably won't be enough. Maybe grades, references, money, being better than people, etc. I don't know enough about your personality and experiences to guide you further, but finding a reason to be motivated is the key. Ask a significant person in your life for help, like a girl or boyfriend, or your parents, or a teacher that you trust. Choose somebody you see/speak to often.