View Single Post
Old 11-09-2005, 05:29 AM

Default Re: Are atheists better poker players than theists?

Poker ain't rocket science, not matter how much the WPT producers or book publishers hype it.

[ QUOTE ]
...amazed at the number of atheists on this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that they're mostly young white male internet junkies. Not too many believers among that group.

[ QUOTE ]
I believe it is due in part to the fact that in order to be a good poker player you need to be mathematical, logical and analytical. I also believe those traits are more common among atheists than theists.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nonsense. To be a good poker player at all but the highest levels you need common sense and emotional control. If you have those two traits, a slightly above average intelligence is plenty of horsepower for poker. Hell, it's plenty of horsepower to write the book on poker.

I see no evidence, anecdotal or otherwise, that atheists are better players than theists. Using these forums as any kind of test is just selection bias and is poor science. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

To answer your question, I am an atheist and a winning player at small stakes (used to post as OOO before I got banned from OOT)