View Single Post
Old 12-19-2005, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Civilization IV, Baddest Beat of my Life

I know the vid card issues are legit, but I've seen some nutty or just ignorant complaints, too. People complaining that they can't play anything bigger than a small map without experiencing lag ... when they have only 256 meg of RAM in their system and onboard video. That was too little to run Civ 2 without hitches, years and years ago. Some people also expect to max out their visual settings in a game and crank the resolution to 1600x1200 and can't believe the game doesn't run smoothly when they do. It's kind of sad when they say, "But it's a new computer!" without realizing that just because it's new doesn't mean it's not a total piece of crap for running games.

Have you tried using a bunch of different drivers, even pretty old ones? Firaxis keeps on harping on the need to have the latest video drivers, but my video drivers on my ATI 9800 Pro are dated April 2004 and they work great. I don't even want to upgrade them since they work so well on everything. If you've tried everything else but that, maybe that would help.