View Single Post
Old 11-23-2005, 08:38 AM

Default Re: Fighting the SuperLAG: A Checkup

Preflop with position:

If he's 3-betting any hand that he's defending, and he's defending a lot, then tighten your stealing standards to Ax and pocket pairs. Cap those when he 3-bets. Call down most of these hands and raise a lot of rivers when you have top pair or better (assuming he fires relentlessly). He needs to know that you never fold on the flop/turn and that his resteals are going to be very expensive. Also, I would actually openlimp with hands like suited broadways that don't contain aces, and maybe some suited connectors down to 98s/T8s, as well as the occasional AK/KK/AA/QQ type hand. Once you have shown that you can mix it up, he will be less likely to try and tangle with you.

Preflop out of position:

I would just call anything reasonable and checkraise any flop that hits me. I wouldn't 3-bet any hand, even your strong ones. If you just call everything, then he can't put you on hand ranges. If you check-raise the flop and he 3-bets, then just call him down unless you improve. If he's 3-betting pretty liberally then call his 3-bets and check-raise any turn where you have top pair or better. Otherwise, just call down and make notes as to whether he checks behind on rivers with Ace hi because you can start folding to his river bet sometimes if you are holding 3rd or 4th pair.