View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 08:19 PM

Default Re: Flop raise with overs

[ QUOTE ]
My only question for you would be, aren't we last to act on this flop? There is noone behind us--two checks, and a bet to us. We have a strong positional advantage.

[/ QUOTE ]
We are the TAG PFR. The early players are taking it for granted that we will bet and they will get another chance.

Going for the checkraise against the PFR is standard procedure in general. On this flop where almost all made hands are extremely vulnerable to a plethora of draws, trying to confront the remaining field with two bets is almost mandatory.

Digression: Imagine you are SB with 98. What should you be thinking?

Answer: My top pair plus outs give me a large equity edge in a 4-way pot. I should get as much money in as I possibly can. If I had 88 then *maybe* I should consider the consequences of using excessive force and driving out my customers. But that's not an issue with my actual hand because folds don't bother me at all. I want to hit them as hard as I can and what they decide to do about it is not my problem.

This is usually the right attitude toward protecting a hand. The whole business of computing the odds your opponents are getting and guessing who might call with what is rarely relevant to anything.