View Single Post
Old 12-09-2005, 03:58 PM

Default Re: Time to Devalue Big Slick (Cardplayer Article)

[ QUOTE ]
if you raise with big slick preflop, get called by A-J, and then check-raise an ace-high flop, most players won’t pay you off. Big slick just doesn’t earn what it used to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is by far the most incorrect line of the whole article. Any donk that is coldcalling with AJ is not going to get blown off his hand just because you checkraise. I mainly play 2-4 limit but even in SNG's and multi's I see TONS of people get stacked with this hand and worse. Anybody coldcalling with AJ is going to pay you off when your Ace hits.

[ QUOTE ]
Your A-K can get an apparently attractive flop of K-8-6, and you can go broke when an opponent shows you an 8-6.

[/ QUOTE ]

This should only happen if you try to get tricky when playing this hand. If you raise to 3-5x the big blind and get called by 8-6 it is only a matter of time before you end up with all of this player's chips. Anybody that slowplays this hand preflop deserves what they get because they know better.

[ QUOTE ]
What is worse, players will call you with a medium pair preflop and raise you even when there’s an overcard on the flop. So, if the flop comes J-6-2, many opponents will put you on A-K and happily go all in with 9-9, knowing you can’t profitably call.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is wrong with folding AK here. You had a true hand preflop you missed the flop and your opponent has the better hand. Losing this hand isn't bad poker it is bad luck. Even if you throw a continuation bet at the pot and he plays back at you it is still good poker. You will only hit your hand 1/3 on the flop. Feel lucky that your opponent didn't hit trip nines when you made 2 pair.