View Single Post
Old 08-27-2004, 09:20 PM

Default Correct to keep betting?

Hi, all.

My limit hold'em play used to be of the classic weak-tight, monsters-under-the-bed variety. I've recently been goiing through the growing pains that many people seem to experience when trying to add more aggression to their game. Hopefully things are settling down now, and SSH (when read carefully) certainly helps.

All that being said, here's a hand from a recent aggressive phase. I honestly don't know whether this is lunacy or completely standard "keep betting until they let you know you're not ahead" stuff. Comments most welcome.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. UTG+1 posts a blind of $2.
UTG calls, UTG+1 (poster) checks, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks,

Flop: (5 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls.

River: (7.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

Has UTG been calling all along with the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]? Surely a made flush would raise me at some point? A hand like A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] certainly seemed plausible... or of course a jack with a real kicker.