View Single Post
Old 10-14-2005, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Aren\'t taxes just too high?

[ QUOTE ]
Keynes might disagree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why because Keynes would look askance at cutting government spending during a period of economic growth?

[ QUOTE ]
Also, 'IMO' and 'most people realize' don't really make sense together. In your opinion most people realize something? Where does this opinion come from?

[/ QUOTE ]

Same place where your opinions come from.

[ QUOTE ]
And I think the social security issue has been put to rest.

[/ QUOTE ]

How so?

[ QUOTE ]
"The official story is that the Baby Boomers are going to impose a greater burden on the system because the number of working people relative to the elderly will decline, which is true.

But what happened to the Baby Boomers when they were zero to 20? Weren’t working people taking care of them? And it was a much poorer society then."

Sounds like a good point to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

In 1950 16 workers supported one Social Security recipient. Today it takes 3 workers to support each recipient. By 2030 it will be 2 workers to support each recipient given that there are no changes made to the system. The ratio of retirees to new workers coming into the system will rise due to the size of the "baby boomers" population segment reaching retirment age. It's projected that Social Security will be running a deficit in ten years. What's been settled? I won't be able to get back to this thread until later but I'd really like to know what you think has been settled and how it has been settled.