View Single Post
Old 11-01-2005, 01:46 PM

Default Re: Evidence AGAINST Christianity

[ QUOTE ]
I'm leaving town shortly and don't have the time to answer each one of these individually. However, you can find the answers to all these and more at http://www.tektonics.org/

Use the "Apolgetics Encyclopedia" at the top left.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thank you for that link. I have not seen that website, or come across the technique of 'harmonization', before and found it very interesting.

I won't answer all of the 'harmonizations' individually as the general technique can be summed up and debunked:

1. Bible has contradiction where it says A in one place and B in another.
2. 'Harmonization' says that A is in fact equal to B or that a 'harmonious' C can be formed by joining A and B.

Unfortunately the suspension of logic and rationality required to equate A to B or join them together to form C is ridiculous. For example, they harmonize the differing numbers of beasts entering the ark as follows:

[ QUOTE ]
The answer is, seven. The phrase "two by two" in 7:9 simply means the animals entered the ark in pairs. So the beasts with 7 representatives came in as 3 pairs and 1 oddball each, paired off male and female and one spare wheel.

[/ QUOTE ]

The idea of three pairs and one 'oddball' is not from the Bible, it is something they have conjured out of thin air in a desperate attempt to smash a round peg into a square hole. They use similar techniques of fabrication, misdirection, and ignorance of Occam's Razor in all of their 'harmonizations'.

I would suggest that it is very difficult to have a worthwhile discussion with someone who truly believes that these intellectually dishonest maneuverings are valid rebuttals to the obvious mistakes and contradictions in the Bible.