View Single Post
Old 09-20-2005, 04:25 PM

Default Re: Was called \"retarded\" for this hand - 5/10 6 Max

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with your general sentiment, but two extra considerations make this situation different:

-his implied odds are MUCH better when he is putting in 1/2 or 3/5ths of a small bet preflop than when he is putting in a whole small be

-the range of hands for the raising player is going to impact your equity, though at this point there is usually enough money in the pot to make up for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that implied odds are much better, but we also have to remember that his position is worse!!! And really the illustration is just to show that simply because there is a lot of money in the pot does not mean that it is a good idea to call with any hand. It has to be a hand that is +EV in the given situation (or a situation in which you can create value by outplaying your opponents - but I am confident these situations are very few when facing multiple opponents like this). A random hand does not have enough value against 5 other opponents.

The real question is what types of hands have enough equity against multiple opponents to make them worth playing. I can't imagine EVERY HAND has enough value, while it does make sense to propose that MANY hands have enough value. .

-K_squared