Thread: Best Athletes
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2005, 10:09 AM

Default Re: Best Athletes

[ QUOTE ]
It is relevant. They don't need to be that fat to do the job. In Lombardi's coaching days, a linebacker was about 210 pounds. The average one is like 260 now. In Lombardi's days a lineman was 250 pounds. Now some of them top 350. They just don't need to be that fat.

And Shaq is quite different because while Shaq is over 300, he is also more than 8 inches taller than even the tallest linemen.

7'1" 325 is nowhere near as fat as 6'3" 325.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't comparing Shaq to the lineman. I was offering another example of someone who's doing harm to his body. I'm not arguing with you on that. I'm asking the question. Is the harm being done that will show up in the future relevant to this question?

Also, I'm not arguing that NFL linemen aren't overweight. Many are. But this doesn't mean they aren't amazing athletes too. Also, if you think that weight is not a factor in doing their job, you're just wrong. Do you honestly believe that Lombardi's team would have any shot at all against one of today's teams? They're bigger, stronger, and faster. People are getting bigger.