View Single Post
Old 11-18-2005, 10:05 AM

Default Re: Improving play in heads up pots

I am currently adjusting to 2/4 and I remember reading a poster here talking about a couple of things.

You have to get used to some of your good hands not making anything. When I played lower I was used to always winning at least medium-large pots or larger when I'd hit things like top two pair or bottom set or got pocket aces. Now a lot less of these hands are making it to showdown.

What this did was force my errors to stick out like sore thumbs. Now I'm no longer making up for my errors by winning bloated pots. At lower limits, the bigger pots make up for your errors and give you profit on top. If I make errors now, the pots i win aren't covering them.

The poster also noted how a lot of the times a passive line wins the most. I got used to being the aggressor in the lower limit games. At 2/4, the fish are more aggressive(not all by any means). Now the WA/WB line becomes very very useful. You have to know which players will hang themselves on their own aggression.

I found one of these guys last night and he proceeded to bluff off $150 over 2 hands to me and then I slowplayed a flopped Kings full and won a $130 pot off of him and another guy. Passive lines can be big money-makers in these types of games.

When you move up its very important to get comfortable playing pots with only 1 or 2 other people. The over-aggressives are your friends. Don't raise them.