View Single Post
Old 10-21-2005, 05:56 AM

Default High blinds, decent opponents, and running cold

Okay, I've stayed away from tourney's for a while and focused on cash games, but finally decided to take another shot at them. This situation comes up in virtually every tournament you're ever in, so I decided to pop the question and hope it generates some discussion.

The blinds are 400/800, or 800/1600 + antes, doesn't matter. Either way you're at about 15BB - a little less than average, some big stacks at the table. A lot of fish has been eliminated, the table has turned tight and very aggressive. You know you're nearing danger zone but not just quite there yet. To top it off, you're getting absolutely no "playable" hands that can stand any sort of a re-raise or getting played back at (i.e. 55, K9o or suited, A6s, 9Ts is as good as it gets).

How do you play? Raise in LP when folded to and hope no one plays back? Sit back and wait for a playable hand, then go with it to the end? Open-push every time? -those are the two extremes, I think-

Anyhow, I think it's a very common situation, and I'm very interested is hearing other posters' strategies for making the most out of it.

Kirk