View Single Post
Old 11-24-2005, 12:14 AM

Default Re: Physics graduate from Daryn\'s alma mater\'s answer

[ QUOTE ]
There is a plane (Boeing 777, prop plane, whatever) on a moving, conveyor-type runway. The runway moves in the opposite direction of the plane at the exact same speed as the plane's wheels. There is no wind. Can the plane take off?

[/ QUOTE ]
No.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
thats the whole point of a treadmill, so you can run WITHOUT MOVING.

[/ QUOTE ]
Now throw rollerskates on and use the handles to pull yourself forward.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to expand on this a little. Imagine you're on the treadmill, on roller skates with perfect bearings. Someone is controlling the speed of the treadmill for you, and they keep turning it up. Since you're on frictionless wheels, the speed of the treadmill doesn't affect you, right? Okay, grab hold of the handles now. Imagine that the dude keeps cranking up the speed on the treadmill. Is there any speed he could possibly turn it up to that could stop you from simply pulling yourself forward with the handles if you wanted to?

[/ QUOTE ]

people are going to say

"but when you pull yourself forward, the wheels will be going faster than the treadmill" which is partially true

[/ QUOTE ]
They'd be wrong. The wheel center is moving at a different speed, but the surface in contact with the treadmill is not, assuming non-slip conditions (which we are). Do I have to draw a picture of this too, when I unleash my fury?

[/ QUOTE ]
You're retarded.